Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reading for the A.D.H.D


For those of you who know me, you know 2 things: 1. I'm Mexican. 2. I'm the poster boy for A.D.H.D. That being said, I love to read. I am constantly reading blogs, magazines and books. One thing that has always been difficult for me is to concentrate on things for a long period of time without being distracted. It takes all I have to focus on my scriptures to read even a chapter because my mind is always racing about one thing or the other. So, much to my joy and happiness, a new company has come out called Vook. Basically, they make books that are a combination of Text, Video Clips and links to other information on the web. You read them on your computer, or on your iPhone (and soon your iPad! ) I have read two of them already and I absolutely LOVE them. The combination of text and video clips makes for an absolutely immersive learning experience. Plus, whenever they are talking about a place, person or company, they always have a hyperlink to the web somewhere so you can see exactly what they are talking about. I friggin love it!!!!

The two that I have read so far are Unleashing the Super Ideavirus by Seth Godin (which right now is only $1) and Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuck. Both are business books, but there are plenty of Vooks on the site that are fiction. The next one I'll buy will probably be the Sherlock Holmes vook.

My dream is to have a Vook of Mormon. I would just love to be able to read and have video clips of general authorities about a particular scripture or principle. That may not happen in my lifetime, but I'm certain there will be iPads in heaven, and a Vook of Mormon will come standard on each one of them.

1 comment: